Monday, October 19, 2009

Oink, Oink

This morning I took Crew's temperature. With ibuprofen and tylenol in his system and after a cool bath, his temperature was 101.6 degrees. He is utterly miserable. My heart breaks when he cries, but it's so much worse when he is too tired and weak to cry, which happens when his fever is being especially difficult and unmanageable. I've broken out all of our "alternative" remedies to pile on top of the western medicine, throwing everything at him that we've got in our eclectic arsenal.

He is still eating some, though signs of dehydration are already apparent. His diapers have been dry since yesterday. We are trying valiantly to get as many fluids into him as possible, with varying degrees of success. He just reluctantly drank 2 ounces of apple juice.

When my pediatrician told us that it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better and that we are just entering the "ramping up stage", my heart fell into my shoes. He is spending the evening on Daddy's lap and he'll spend the night in my arms again. We hope to turn the corner by the weekend. Praying for sooner than that though.

Blech.

On the bright side, we had been agonizing about whether to get him the immunization. After much debate, we had tentatively decided to go ahead and get it for him. Now we don't have to worry about that, nervous laughter, nervous laughter...

No comments: