Monday, June 14, 2010

Best Laid Plans

I came home tonight and parked our van in the garage. I left the garage door open because I knew I was going to be leaving again in half an hour.

A few minutes later Justin came home and wanted to close the garage for privacy; he hates when I leave it open. As he was closing it, he noticed that Kinley left her scooter out. He stopped it from closing completely, bringing it down 1/4 - 1/3 of the way and hollered for Kinley to put her scooter away. He closed it just enough to make himself feel marginally better, but not enough for any real privacy and certainly not enough for a harried mom in a hurry to notice that the door had been messed with.

Anxious to get to the library exhibit, we rushed into the van 10 minutes later.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

Sigh...

Minor scratches on the roof rack and a gash on the top back end. Justin was able to bend the garage door mostly back into place. It could have been worse. A few more inches and it would have taken out our back windshield. A little more speed and the door would have been mangled beyond Justin's Hulk Powers to realign.

The best part was that I was driving a little neighbor girl to the library. Her parents were standing outside (staring in horror) when I crashed into the door. They nervously watched me drive away with their precious cargo while I waved and shouted enthusiastic assurances that she was, in fact, in capable hands, despite any perceived evidence to the contrary.

To cap off my super awesome night, my seat during the Wacky Waves Mad Scientist program was directly across from two identical twin boys that looked to be about Crew's age. I have been lucky enough to avoid the silver-bullet-to-the-heart combination: identical twin boys until tonight. And to have them be so close to Crew's age was particularly dreadful. I couldn't keep myself from gaping. Their mom looked so zen and happy.

Blech. What a night.

I'm going to bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't you just hate days like these.