Friday, November 6, 2009

Neonatal Blues

The day started off awesome and just got better.

Crew woke up for an atypical 4 a.m. snack and I was unable to fall back asleep before we had to get up and get ready for our early morning 4-hour marathon appointment with the Neonatal Follow-up Clinic, (which should be called the Neonatal Twins and other Multiples Convention).

I spent 40 minutes in the waiting room with
four sets of twins and a set of triplets. Good times. I managed to not cry until I was behind closed doors, yay for me.

I met one mom with identical twin girls that suffered from TTTS. With proper diagnosis and treatment, they were delivered at 27 weeks. We cried together. I
hate TTTS!!!

Based on what she saw today, the neurologist was finally ready to make the call: "Moderate Cerebral Palsy." She anticipates th
at with great efforts and continued PT, he will be able to walk one day, but will probably need leg braces or some sort of spendy shoe inserts at some point. The follow-up clinic pediatrician doesn't think it's as serious as all that, so time will tell.

In separate awesome news, he has been referred for an x-ray to confirm or deny suspected
Craniosynostosis. Praying that one comes back negative at least.

Excuse me. I need a nap.

No comments: