Sunday, November 29, 2009

No! Not Preemie Teeth!!!

The good news is that one of the teeth that has been struggling to erupt in Crew's mouth finally made its appearance in the middle of the night.

The bad news is that what I have suspected for the last few days is definitely true. The tooth is yellow and brown and may have no enamel on it whatsoever. Because his bottom teeth came in perfect and white, I thought we were safe from the preemie teeth condition that is caused from antibiotics and other heavy medications during the all important "final trimester" (that he spent in the NICU) as well as being on TPN (intravenous) nutrition for so so so ridiculously long.

I am so sad for him! Like life isn't rough enough without creepy teeth? Guess I'll be making an appointment with the pediatric dentist to fully assess the situation. Sigh....

2 comments:

Cyndi Hendrickson said...

This is the first I've heard of premie teeth. Your blog is so educational. Seriously, though, I guess it'll be one challenge after the next. I sure hope they can do something to help him.

Karen M in FL said...

Even though Hannah didn't have any time in the NICU her four front teeth came in with no enamel and broke off. She had the cutest little bridge from 17 months until 7.5 when they took it out. So I know its hard when you see those poor teeth.