Thursday, February 19, 2009

Being Home

I think he's transitioned well into our home. The first few days he wanted to be held every minute, awake or asleep, but I think he realizes now that this is his permanent home and that I will always be here for him. He slept half the night in his bed last night and during the day he takes naps on my chest, in his bed, in his car seat, in his bouncer, and in his swing.

Last night I was happy that for his midnight feeding he was only up for a half hour total instead of the usual 90+ minutes. I wasn't so lucky at 4, but ended up convincing him to snuggle me on the floor and let me fall asleep. We still drag the couch cushions upstairs so that I can sleep closer to him (and sometimes with him). I accidentally refered to "Justin's room" the other day when meaning the master bedroom. Oy vei. Oh, and Crew is in the office. It's now "Crew's Room" but he shares it with the computer. And me.

We have him moved over to the Playtex bottles and somewhat transitioned to the Mam binkies. He still prefers the big green monster binkies, but he'll take both in a pinch. He's much easier to feed now and will generally take a bottle immediately, no more desperate, frantic fighting about it. He's eating every 2.5 - 4 hours.

The first few days home were more difficult for him. It was probably a combination of the developing thrush, new sights, new smells, and new (very) loud sibling sounds. In the last few days he has reverted to his sweet, mellow, gentle Crewton self.

I just love having him around. I love being around too! It's so nice to not have to call some stranger to find out how my baby's night was or send Tanner and Kinley off to a neighbor so that I can drive an hour to see him and maybe hold him. I didn't even shower yesterday. Today I showered, but I put on clean pajamas and didn't do my hair. The simple joys...

The other day I came downstairs, groggy after a nap, and Tanner asked his old familiar question "where is Crew?" My automatic response started "he's at the hos... oh my goodness! He's right upstairs taking a nap in his bed." He loves to have his Daddy hold him and even though he is very small right now, he's tough and wiry doesn't feel like a floppy, helpless little newborn.

I'm excited for this next phase of the adventure. It's still going to take a while to figure out the new dynamic, but I strongly prefer what we've got going on now to what we've been doing. I've been able to spend some serious quality time with Kinley and Tanner in the last few days, which has been fulfilling for all of us. Ahem, I've started doing Kinley's homework with her again, and I'm ashamed to admit to what an improvement that is. I feel like I have to shake out 6+ months worth of cobwebs out of our lives and routine, but it seems at least possible now!

Well, all three kids were taking a nap (hip! hip! hurray!) but that miracle has come to a close, so I'd better get moving.

No comments: