Tuesday, December 2, 2008


We celebrated with the grand Thanksgiving feast with Justin's family on Friday, so last Thursday we spent the day with Crew. Kinley and Tanner had never been to his new hospital, so it was quite an adventure for them. We busted out the traveling DVD player for its maiden viewing. The kids were highly amused with that treat, but it took us forever to figure out how to get it to work, pulled over to the side of the road before leaving the neighborhood. We haven't ever used it since we got it over the summer. We looked like idiots (which isn't all that uncommon, but whatever).

Because of RSV season, they don't allow siblings of this age into the NICU, so Kinley and Tanner spent time exploring the hospital. We met Grandma and Grandpa at the hospital and took turns with them visiting Crew. Most of the time Grandpa and Daddy were off on adventures with the children while Grandma and I were hovering around Crew, hammering for information.

We ate a semi-special Thanksgiving lunch in the cafeteria together. I say semi-special because it was the worst pumpkin pie I have ever dreamed of. And please believe me when I say that I am not picky about pumpkin pie. Homemade, frozen, 3 day old Walmart deli, someone else's half-eaten leftovers, seriously. Not picky. This. Was. Bad. I couldn't even finish it, and if you know how addicted to pumpkin pie and all things Thanksgiving that I am, you'll realize how bad it really was.

It was a good experience and I was really glad that the kids were able to feel at least a little better connected to Crew's experience at the new hospital.


Courtney said...

oh my! That pie must have been like.. Prison Pie!

Nurse Pam (from Provo) said...

Talk about a journey, these few short weeks sound like a lifelong quest already! Thanks for sharing. We look forward to cute Crew coming back and letting us tend him until he's ready for home. Hope you got some better pie later.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog on a digital scrapbooking site and thought I'd comment. I hope you don't mind. I'm sorry for your loss of Dex, but it's great that Crew is thriving. I hope things just get better and better for him!

My son was born with Spina Bifida 4 years ago. We live in eastern Idaho and I delivered at our local hospital without a clue that anything was wrong with our baby. He was life flighted to Primary Children's hospital about 3 hours after he was born. It was a hard experience for us. The reason I wanted to comment was because I read your venting post and I can sympathize with you! It's really frustrating how many nurses and doctors you go through in a 24 hour period. And they don't seem to write anything IMPORTANT down on the chart! I'm sorry that you're having such a hard time there. I hope you can get Crew home to your local hospital soon!

I wish you all the best of luck!

Scrapping Mom of 5 said...

I'm glad you had a nice Thanksgiving and I really hope that someone has gotten you some decent pumpkin pie. I love it too and my inlaws never serve it. I always have to have it later in the week at home.

I'm glad you have been able to be there to advocate for you son and sorry you have to work so hard to make sure he's getting what he needs. Praying things get better this week.

Heather said...

The post before this one about Toaster Head... I was told the same thing about my daughter. She was a 1 lb. 11 oz. preemie, and you totally can not notice anything now that she has hair, but she totally has toaster head. I thought it was HORRIBLE that they called it that and still do. I hope they comply with turning his head like you want. I really enjoyed reading about your little preemie. He's so cute, and I'm keeping him in my prayers.